Friday, May 16, 2014

Tips for the Busy and Hungry

I am very busy. I work 40 hours a week, drive 1 - 1.5 hours one way in traffic to get to my job, and I TRY to go to the gym 3 - 5 days a week. I am completely exhausted about 65% of the time. The other 35%, I am sleeping. I know this because I just calculated it. I like numbers.

Since I'm always busy and I love to cook and eat, I have come up with a few ways to still eat well even though I don't feel like doing shit but flopping down on the couch and turning on Netflix when I get home. My friend Ashlyn asked me for some tips about this, and I know a lot of my friends are busy like I am, so I thought it would be beneficial to make this post.


1. Meal Prep

On Sundays when I'm off work, I like to cook a shitload of meat at one time. Enough meat for the entire work week of dinners. Usually this is chicken breasts (because dieting) or other delicious chicken parts, but sometimes I make a turkey meatloaf, turkey taco meat, meat sauce to go over pasta, whatever, as long as it's enough for the work week. I have all those recipes on here. The only problem with this is that if you don't make a versatile meat dish, then you have to eat the same thing over and over. I'm strange and I LOVE to repeatedly eat the same thing every day, until I find something else that I want to eat every day. But Trevor likes to eat completely different stuff every day, so he doesn't prefer that I do meal prep. It's all up to you. If you like to eat different stuff, make something versatile that you can make varied meals out of. Chicken is just perfect for this because with it you can make salads, tacos, pastas, eat it by itself, etc., etc.

2. Frozen Steam-In-Bag Veggies

These are truly a lifesaver. They are so damn awesome. They taste pretty fresh, and all you have to do is pop them in the microwave for a few minutes. You can season them right in the bag and just pour them onto the plate, so it also saves dishes! Like I said, amazing. So efficient, such extra free time. If you get asparagus, you can steam it in the bag, pull it out and open it up, pour in your lemon juice, some butter, salt and pepper, and you have a top-notch side dish. They also have ones that are already fixed up, like potatoes and green beans in butter sauce. I like to add seasoned salt and some Italian blend cheese to these, it's to die for. My rule on pre-packaged stuff is that you must add things to it before it can be truly delicious.

3. Rotisserie. Fucking. Chicken.

Chicken is like my family (if you haven't seen the video this references then you must look up "King Curtis" on YouTube immediately). Whoever decided to start cooking and selling rotisserie chicken in grocery stores deserves a Nobel peace prize, for bringing peace to hungry on-the-go stomachs all across America. I pick one of these up almost every time I go to the grocery store. It lasts us a few days, and it's so versatile, as chicken is wont to be. It's also very inexpensive, about $6 for an entire chicken that's already cooked. I'll take it! And rip into it with my bare hands. And eat it like a savage.

4. Pre-Washed, Pre-Cut Vegetables

Prepping to cook takes a whole lot of time. Mainly because I'm still not very quick with a knife, but also because my knives aren't very sharp anymore (hello Trevor this is a great birthday present idea). So when I'm shopping for produce to make a meal, if I can find the pre-washed, pre-cut stuff, I will absolutely buy that every time. Of course, someone else washed and cut it, so you can't exactly know that it's been done perfectly, but it doesn't bother me at all. God made dirt, dirt don't hurt, or whatever it is people say. I don't even believe in God, but I still eat the pre-washed pre-cut produce.


So those are my tips. If you have any of your own to share, hit me up on facetwittergram. Also, I'd like to start doing a guest spot for recipes, so if you have any you'd like featured, again you can hit me up on social media. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far!

No comments:

Post a Comment