Friday, May 16, 2014

Ground Turkey Potato Casserole


ingredients:
1 large yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 large russet potatoes
1.25 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1.5 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
a few dashes of paprika
salt and pepper to taste
enough butter or margarine to line your baking pan
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or your favorite cheese

hardware:
9x13x2 metal baking pan
large mixing bowl
large saute pan
aluminum foil

procedure:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Slice your onion however you like, finely dice the garlic. Set these aside, then peel and cut the potatoes. For this dish, I cut mine in half length-wise and then thinly sliced them into half-moon pieces. Once the potatoes are cut, put them in the large mixing bowl.
  2. Heat the olive oil in the saute pan over medium-high heat, then add the ground turkey. Once it begins to brown, add the onions and garlic, the paprika and salt to your taste. You don't want to overcook the onions here, since they will continue to cook in the oven.
  3. Once the turkey is browned, remove it from the heat and add your milk and cream to the large mixing bowl, then your cans of soup, and stir. Pour the turkey/onion/garlic mixture in with it, add salt and pepper (I like lots of salt and pepper) and stir to combine.
  4. Line your baking pan on all sides with the butter or margarine. Of course you can use olive oil or nonstick spray here, but I like to have butter with my potatoes.
  5. Pour the casserole mixture into the buttered baking pan, and then cover it with the aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
  6. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and remove the aluminum foil. Put it back in the oven and bake for 25 more minutes.
  7. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the casserole. The entire top of the casserole should be covered, including the edges. Bake for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese. If you like your cheese browned, bake it for longer and keep an eye on it.

comments:
I'm REALLY creative with the names of my recipes, huh? I'm boring and predictable, sorry.

Anyway, this would be great with some mushrooms, but I didn't have any on hand at the time. I love mushrooms. I'll put onions and mushrooms in absolutely anything.

The side item I made for this was lemon pepper green beans, and the lemon flavor was a good balance to the savory casserole. I almost always make my green beans like this, because it's fucking delicious. I'll get a recipe for them up soon. I have to actually measure stuff to make a recipe, and I'm used to just throwing everything together.

Additional note, the magical Trevor ate the shit out of this. I looked over at him after he tasted it and he was just nodding and doing a little dance. I took that to mean he really liked it. He also called it "bomb-ass". "Bomb-Ass Casserole" was his name for this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment